Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Woman After God's Own Heart - Chapter 9

A Heart That Values Being A Mother

Photo Courtesy of David Castillo Dominici/freedigitalphotos
Being a mom is the most amazing and rewarding job a woman could ever have.  What a blessing it is to be given the opportunity to be a mother. God has passionately given us a role with countless loving tasks and kindness for our children.  How great is our God that He has trusted us mom's with such an important assignment and responsibility.

I love reading the book of Proverbs.  One of my favorite verses is the one below that describes the woman we all desire to be..

Proverbs 31:25-30 She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.  She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.  Her children arise and call her blessed;     her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women do noble things,     but you surpass them all.”  Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

What I most love about this verse is that it is a blessing...one which all of us, as mothers, desire.   This is the description of a woman who loves and follows Gods commands in her role as a woman, wife and mother.

God's word tells us that we are to teach our children.  Deuteronomy 6:6-7 gives us instructions in teaching our children.

Deuteronomy 6:6-7 “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.

This scripture is quite clear that the primary responsibility to teach our children belong to us parents.  In order for us to teach our children Gods word we must first and foremost have that passion for His word. Gods word should be in our hearts before we can share and teach our children.  We cannot teach something we have no knowledge in.  We cannot speak with passion if it is not felt from within.

How does a mother teach her child God's word? First we have to make some serious decisions and assess what are we doing as parents to teach our kids the bible. Are we even taking the time to teach them at all?  Are we taking the time to dwell in his word ourselves so we can teach our children?  And the list of questions can go on and on. Teaching our kids should be a priority.  We need to focus on building a home that honors our Lord and this includes having a passion for His word so we can pass this on to our children. As mothers we need to recognize our role of a teacher.  Our assignment is to sow the seeds of loving God in the hearts of our children.  When I think of how I am sowing  seeds of love and truth in my children's hearts I can tell you I am not doing enough.  Although something is better than nothing, I need to make some serious decisions and not underestimate the importance and urgency of planting Gods word and truth in my children's heart.

We all have busy lives, I know I do.  I also know that as a Woman After Gods Heart I want to live for my Lord and Savior and glorify Him in all I do.  As mothers we get weary of the duty of being a mom but I tell you this, we need to remain focus on God's word and know that at the end of our hard work is a great blessing. 

Commit today to make some serious decisions and make teaching God's word to our children a priority in your life.  I pray that our Lord and Savior gives you the wise counsel and guidance to teach your children the bible so that the seeds we sow can be passed on from generation to generation. May we always be mindful that teaching our children is a never-ending assignment and we must do it with great joy.  I pray that the fruit of this great blessing is having children that love, serve, honor and glorify God in all they do.
 
Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. There is no other joy here on earth, then seeing the fruit of God spirit in our children . This job never ends I agree its the most amazing rewarding job we ever can have as women! I pray for God wisdom from our heavenly Father to break chains for future generations,and Gods legacy.

    ReplyDelete